Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Water

June 23, 2015
By Thom Peters, deputy

 They will neither hunger nor thirst,
    nor will the desert heat or the sun beat down on them.
He who has compassion on them will guide them
    and lead them beside springs of water.

--Isaiah 49:10

With time to get my bearings this morning before the work of Convention was to begin in earnest, I decided to walk up to the State Capitol building.  I was struck by the number of sprinkler heads at work as I climbed Arsenal Hill.  None were operating on the grand scale or arc I often see in Connecticut; rather, they tended to be tucked underneath shrubs, misting more than spraying.  There was plenty of green grass and flowers in beds to be seen.  But the backdrop of the bare mountains looming overhead and the warming temperature as the sun began to rise reminded me of how dry Utah is.  Then I realized why the sink in my room was so shallow and my shower head so broad.  What I was seeing was a sensitivity to the value of water.  
 
With this new awareness came a new appreciation for water.   There are plenty of fountains to be seen here in Salt Lake City, but they are in shaded areas where evaporation is minimized. The sound of a fountain was enough to draw me to take an unmapped short cut through a park.  Later I discovered an artificial "creek" that babbled its way through a shopping plaza in the center of town, entertaining little children and grownups alike, drawing me past shops, highlighting sculptures of birds at play.  

I take the pleasures of water for granted to a great extent in Connecticut.  But here in Salt Lake, I am reminded that it really is a precious gift.  Finally in the Convention Hall, I was reminded of the fine work of organizations such as Episcopal Relief and Development that seek to provide clean water to many who do not have this basic essential resource.  
 
Our deputation will be carrying water bottles with our ECCT logo on it.  I'll carry mine with a new appreciation for the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment